to the Mama who thinks she's the worst + John 14:18-20 coloring page

John 14:18-20 Bible Verse Scripture Memory Coloring Page "I will not leave you as orphans"

I am frustrated with my frustration.  I am impatient with my own impatience. Why do I keep letting these little people get to me?

We may all look put-together as we herd our scrubbed and somewhat-matching little duckies into church on Sunday morning, but I have a feeling we all say the same things come mid-Monday morning.

Today we had a frustrating morning of attempting school while trying to keep the baby from climbing from the chairs to the table in stubborn search of markers . . . likely to eat. 

"Okay, everybody sit here on this rug. We're going to read about Roman history . . . RIGHT NOW!" Strangely for me, I didn't lose it all morning, but I felt completely frazzled by the time my Mom got here for her Wednesday afternoon with the kids.
  
We chatted a bit, and then I grabbed my car keys . . . and promised that I would be back. 

I got in the car and tried to let some truth soak in as I drove to one of my favorite thrift stores. Here's what I heard:

1. I am weaker that I want to believe.

I'm frustrated with myself because I think I should do better. I think I'm better than this. But the truth is, I'm still very weak. 

How often have you thought, "I'm a terrible mother"? Or, "I'm a terrible [whatever]." This seems to come as a surprise to us. The truth is, we're just plain old-as-Eve sinners.
"For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned." Romans 12:3
I wonder if our "terrible mom syndrome" is simply the fruit of pride.  I thought I was better than that. I'm surprised that I'm struggling so much. Jesus must be disappointed in me.


But because of God's grace, I can face myself with "sober judgment," not throw-in-the-towel pessimism--the real me facing the real Jesus, who happens to love me a whole lot.

This is how the Apostle Paul saw himself. He writes:
"The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.  But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life." 1 Timothy 1:15-16
If God is "perfectly patient" with us and delights to show us His mercy, why are we so hard on ourselves? Do we think we are past His mercy or that we've exhausted His patience?

The second truth I'm holding onto today is this:

2. Jesus is stronger in me than I believe.

Jesus conquered my sin at the cross. It's not a burden I have to carry anymore. He now lives in me through faith, and gives me the power to live through His Spirit. 
"If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you." Romans 8:11
If I live in His Spirit, I can bear good fruit. 
"For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary." Galatians 6:8-9
I can go a whole morning and stay calm no matter who climbs on the table, no matter my kids' attitudes, no matter how I feel. I can be hormonal and yet not pick a fight with my husband. I can because the power that rose Jesus from the dead lives in me.

I won't always, of course, but every day, every moment, with Jesus restarts at grace, so there is no excuse for wallowing. 

He is my friend and He walks with me. 
"Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you." John 16:7 
Not one step of this day has to be alone. God gives me friends, and He gives me Himself. 

Please tell yourselves these truths today, friend!

Today's printable is from John 14:18-20 and is Jesus' precious promise while still on earth that He would come to us! You can download your page here or by clicking on the image below!*


John 14:18-20 Bible Verse Scripture Memory Coloring Page "I will not leave you as orphans"

*I'm so happy for you to enjoy my coloring pages and printables for your personal (not commercial) use! All artwork and photos are copyright Marydean Draws. If you share this, you're awesome (!), and as a courtesy,  please link back to this post and not the PDF file. Thank you!!




If you like this, you can get these posts in your inbox by signing up HERE! You'll also receive occasional news from my Etsy shop.

2 comments

  1. Thank you so much for this beautiful printable! It is very well done. I did notice the reference is incorrect (rather than John 4 it should be John 14). I know you love the Bible and would want this to be corrected. Thanks for making the Word come alive in this creative way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Sarah--thank you!!! I will fix it right away and repost!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here! Your comment will be submitted for approval.