An opportunity to trust

For those of us who struggle with anxiety, the simplest situations send us into a tailspin of worry. For example, occasionally, I get a phone call or text on Sunday morning saying that someone is unable to serve with the children at church and we need to find a replacement. This used to make me very anxious, but God has been graciously working on my response to situations like these in the last few years. 

I'm trying to read through John during my quiet time. Quiet time for me has been difficult to carve out for a long time. Right now, it's before bed since I'm a terrible morning person (and I figure God is happy to meet me any time).

I read this account the other night:
 "After this Jesus went away to the other side of the Sea of Galilee, which is the Sea of Tiberias. And a large crowd was following him, because they saw the signs that he was doing on the sick. Jesus went up on the mountain, and there he sat down with his disciples.Now the Passover, the feast of the Jews, was at hand. Lifting up his eyes, then, and seeing that a large crowd was coming toward him, Jesus said to Philip, “Where are we to buy bread, so that these people may eat?” He said this to test him, for he himself knew what he would do. Philip answered him, “Two hundred denarii worth of bread would not be enough for each of them to get a little.” One of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, said to him, “There is a boy here who has five barley loaves and two fish, but what are they for so many?” 10 Jesus said, “Have the people sit down.” Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, about five thousand in number. 11 Jesus then took the loaves, andwhen he had given thanks, he distributed them to those who were seated. So also the fish, as much as they wanted. 12 And when they had eaten their fill, he told his disciples, “Gather up the leftover fragments, that nothing may be lost.” 13 So they gathered them up and filled twelve baskets with fragments from the five barley loaves left by those who had eaten.John 6:1-15
I love that Jesus knows exactly what He will do to feed to oncoming crowd, but He takes the opportunity to test Philip and the other disciples. He is always training them to trust Him and know Him better.

The disciples have been walking with Jesus for some time now and have seen him change the water into wine, preach, and heal the sick, but there remains a disconnect between what they have witnessed and what they actively believe and act on in moments of "faith opportunities."

They walk with the bread of life Himself, so simple physical bread should be a snap.
"Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst." John 6:35
But instead of saying, "Jesus, I know you've got this covered. Tell us what to do," the disciples calculate. They think in terms of money and numbers. 

They look at what's in front of them instead of WHO is with them.

Instead of shaking his head at their slow-to-believe-hearts, Jesus graciously feeds the needy crowd so they can stick around and hear His teaching. 

I too have walked with Jesus and seen him provide again and again, yet the simplest situation can throw me into a dizzying scramble for solutions. Calculations, figuring, planning. I forget that I walk with the Bread of life. I can talk with the Counselor. The Mighty God has my right hand.

Our God comes through greater than we expect, greater than we even know to ask. Whatever situation--small or big--you face today, remember Him. Maybe it's as small as my Sunday morning phone call, or maybe it's a much bigger deal. 

Let this be an opportunity to fall on God's faithfulness and exercise your trust in Him. Stop scrambling and instead tell Jesus, "I know you've got this covered. Tell me what to do."

The answer may simply be, "Just watch."





If you like this, you can get these posts in your inbox by signing up HERE! You'll also receive occasional news from my Etsy shop.

No comments

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here! Your comment will be submitted for approval.