This I know Screensaver


It's a beautiful day here in Virginia. I've been enjoying working outside in the garden, mulching the flower beds, getting my fingers dirty because my gardening gloves are frayed in five of the ten fingers. That winter heaviness is being replaced by new growth.


Today I'm thinking about how what we believe about a person and how they feel about us affects how we interpret what they say and do. If we're confident in someone's affection and our connection to them, we trust their intentions. We believe their actions toward us are intended for good and not evil. We see everything they do or say in the light of what we believe about them.

Suspicion and distrust, then, can wreak havoc on relationships, even when they aren't based on the truth.

I'm wondering how this plays out in our relationship with God and the connection we feel with him? What are we believing about his character and about how he feels about us, and how has that affected our relationship?

I see the Psalmist wrestling with these feelings over and over. There is the very-real reality he can see--fears from within, opposition from without. "Where are you God?" he asks. 

And then he preaches truth to his heart, like here in Psalm 56:
"You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book? Then my enemies will turn back in the day when I call. This I know, that God is for me. In God, whose word I praise, in the LORD, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me? I must perform my vows to you, O God; I will render thank offerings to you. For you have delivered my soul from death, yes, my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life." (Psalm 56:8-13 ESV)
Yes, friend, God is for us in the most important ways. No, the little and big pains and afflictions of our daily lives are not taken away or resolved. But when we step back and see the big picture of His love spelled out in the life and death of Jesus for us, then we have hope that endures.
"And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"" (Luke 11:9-13 ESV)
God is the good Father who gives good gifts. If we see him as the Father who will drop a scorpion in our lap when we ask for an egg, we miss these good gifts because we don't trust him enough to ask.

He hasn't given us ease or simple cures; He has give us Himself, the Holy Spirit as a deposit for a glorious future.

This is the kind of truth that sprouts hope in our hearts, even in suffering.
"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us." (Romans 8:18 ESV) 
"So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison." (2Corinthians 4:16-17 ESV)

Today's printable Bible verse screensaver is from Psalm 56:9b. You can download it be clicking on the image below and saving to your phone!

You are loved!

*I'm so happy for you to enjoy my coloring pages and printables for your personal (not commercial) use! Use for Bible studies, church groups or events, and Sunday school classes are all fine! If you're in doubt, I'm happy to answer any questions. All artwork and photos are copyright Marydean Draws. If you share this, you're awesome (!), and as a courtesy,  please link back to this post and not the PDF file. Thank you!!



If you like this, you can get these posts in your inbox by signing up HERE

No comments

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here! Your comment will be submitted for approval.