Anxious for Nothing Philippians 4:6 Screensaver


"Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:5-7 ESV)

Sometimes I describe anxiety like a train. It starts with a thought or a belief that, unchecked, begins to roll along briskly on the track of my mind. As it begins to gain speed, it gets harder and harder to slow it down.

To slow down the train, I have to look at what's feeding the engine, but that process can be scary and intimidating for me. Sometimes it feels easier to keep chug-chug-chugging along.

As Edward Welch points out in his book on anxiety (see my resources page if you're interested), we often hear God's instructions to "fear not" as a scolding. You should know better, do better, be better. I'm so tired of your struggles. But Welch says that we need to hear "do not fear" and "do not be anxious" as words from the heart of a good, good father.

It's a little like my three-year-old in the car:  "Mom, do you know how to get there?"

"Yes, Silas, don't worry. Mommy knows where we're going."

Or my daughter before Christmas or her birthday: "Mom, are you sure you got me a present? I'm really worried that you'll forget."

"Yes, sweetie. I love you and I haven't forgotten to get you something special."

My love and care for my kids is imperfect, but God's love isn't, even when the evidence of it is hard for us to see at times.

He is attentive.
He acts on our behalf.
He comforts.
He guides.
He speaks.

That's why He can say, "Be anxious for nothing."

If you follow along with my art on Instagram, you know I've been painting a lot this new year and experimenting with watercolor on old book pages. I've used my paintings to make a screensaver for your phone. You can choose from blue or pink by clicking on either image below and saving to your phone!






The lovely flower image in the header is from Elah Tree.

*I'm so happy for you to enjoy my coloring pages and printables for your personal (not commercial) use! Use for Bible studies, church groups or events, and Sunday school classes are all fine! If you're in doubt, I'm happy to answer any questions. All artwork and photos are copyright Marydean Draws. If you share this, you're awesome (!), and as a courtesy,  please link back to this post and not the PDF file. Thank you!!

No comments

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here! Your comment will be submitted for approval.