The simplifying question I forget to ask


Printable Bible Verse coloring page from Marydean Draws


It goes something like this with me:

Yup, we are homeschooling . . . this year. But, wow, their kids are doing awesome in public school. That kid is learning Latin in private school. That kid is flourishing in the local school's Spanish immersion program and they have great relationships with the Latinos in the community. That's a neat ministry. There's no way I can teach my kids to speak Spanish fluently. Wait, why am I doing this again?  

Or here's another one:

Yeah, I really enjoy posting stuff on Instagram. But am I just trying to get attention and approval? 
That friend over there that I really respect completely eschews social media and doesn't even have an Instagram account. What about that article about the dangers of social media I saw on Pinterest? The title alone made me feel guilty. Then there's that friend who takes periodic fasts from social media. Am I missing something?

And so it goes in a multitude of other areas my life. Exercising. Our diet. Our financial giving. Activities my kids are involved in (or not involved in). I get all twisted up inside about what I'm supposed to do. I question my decisions, our decisions as a family. Where I once felt confident, I turn to mush. 

And I've forgotten one simple, but important question: God, what would you have me do?

Maybe I asked the question and got an answer once, but now I either forgot that answer or am wondering if I heard wrong. Maybe I think God changes His mind as much as I do.

I have stopped acting in faith and have started to act in fear.

I feel God bringing me back to the simple place of relying on Him to show me the ways I should go. I talked about this in a post at the beginning of the year--the danger of looking everywhere but to God for your story. And  a few weeks ago, I wrote about the freedom we have in obeying God rather than a checklist mentality.
"Make me to know your ways, O LORD; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long." (Psalm 25:4-5 ESV) 
"Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul." (Psalm 143:8 ESV)
"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him." (James 1:5 ESV)
You know what it takes to get me to the point of asking? Humility. Slowing down enough to realize my need. A reliance on His greatness, His counsel, His wisdom.

It also requires me to wait on His answer. Am I willing to be like Moses, who said: "If your presence will not go with me, do not bring us up from here" (Exodus 33:15 ESV)?

Can God show us these answers? I believe He can. He can show us through His Word and His Spirit. This is where a habit of listening and reading the Word pays off as God is able to bring His Words to our remembrance and apply them specifically (even if they didn't seem to apply when you first read them). We can also allow others help us listen to God and apply His Word to whatever we're working through. 

On these non-black-and-white matters of living out our faith to the glory of God (such as your children's education and the place of social media in your life), I think that God would have us to walk confidently in our decisions. In the letter to the Romans, the author talks about being fully convinced of our own convictions, while not judging others in their own.
"One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind." (Romans 14:5 ESV)
Isn't that an interesting? Fully convinced for yourself and yet letting others be fully convinced too. 

So, I'm going to homeschool as long as God convicts me (and my husband) that is right for our family. I'm going to share bits of my life on Instagram. 

And you--you do whatever the Lord asks you to do--and do it confidently. Let's not be intimidated by each others' convictions or be intimidators with our own. We followers of Jesus are living for His glory in the many way He's prepared for us (see Ephesians 2:10).

Today's printable Bible verse coloring page is from Psalm 25:4-5! You can download your page here in English or here in Spanish (LBLA version), or by clicking on the images below!*
DIBUJOS PARA COLOREAR de la Biblia (Spanish coloring pages)
 
PRAYING the Word
Lord, my life is for your glory. Show me your ways and guide me in your truth today. Help me wait on you ALL DAY LONG.

QUESTIONS to ask about the verses:
1. What are some ways God can show you His ways, His path, and His truth?
2. If you want God to lead you, why might it be important to learn to wait for Him?

*I'm so happy for you to enjoy my coloring pages and printables for your personal (not commercial) use! All artwork and photos are copyright Marydean Draws. If you share this, you're awesome (!), and as a courtesy,  please link back to this post and not the PDF file. Thank you!!




If you like this, you can get these posts in your inbox by signing up HERE! You'll also receive occasional news from my Etsy shop.

4 comments

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here! Your comment will be submitted for approval.