Conversations with my four year old: Volume 3



My kiddos (mostly the four-year-old) have said some pretty funny things over the last few months. I jotted them down so I could share some of with you.

. . . 

Anna (four years old): "Can I have some honey mustard for my apples?"

. . .

Anna: "My stomach hurts. It has a headache."

. . .

Anna: "Mom, how do you say 'I love you"?
Me: "I . . . love . . . you . . . ?"
Anna: "Thanks."

. . .

Me: "What's your favorite color?"
Anna: "Jelly beans!"

. . .

Me: "Why did you punch your brother's chest?"
Anna: "I thought he was a drum."

. . .

Anna: [handing me pebbles] "Take these and save them for the baby when he gets teeth."

. . .


Anna: "I'm going to let my baby stay up early tonight."

. . . 

Me: "What do you want to do for you birthday?" [which was in April]
Anna: "Celebrate Christmas!"

. . . 

Anna: [at dance class where she previously fell, got bloody lip, and chipped her front tooth] "Remember when some kids were swinging on those chairs and there was blood?
Me: "If by 'kids' you mean you, then yes."

. . . 

Anna: [wearing a medal on a ribbon] "I got this medal cause we're done fighting the civil war." [I think that's the only war she's heard about.]

. . . 

Anna: [not wanting to get dressed] "I'm just going to be make-ed (naked) all day."

. . . 

Anna: "I'm going to obey now. Sometimes four year olds make bad choices."
Why yes, yes they do.

. . . 

Anna: [On the way home in the car] "I have to go peepee."
Me: "How much longer can you wait?"
Anna: "About two more seconds."

. . .

Anna: [mad at her sister]: "I don't like you. You're a duck. A watermelon duck!"
At least that's the worst she could think of.


Anna: "Eiffel tower and townhouse rhymes!!" [so excited]

. . . 

Me: [to Anna after getting a toy for Silas] "Anna, you have inner sweetness, don't you?"
Anna: [with a saintly expression] "Yes, I have lots of baby toys in my heart . . . I will rub his head with my foot."

. . . 

Daddy: [to Anna] "Anna come snuggle with us."
Anna: [hand out] "I don't have a choice!"

. . . 

Anna: "I drew on the wall with a pencil."
Anna: [five minutes later after cleaning the wall off with wipes"I accidenally drew on the floor . . . but I'm sorry!"

. . . 

[on the way to Mamo's house]
Anna: 'They have water right?"
Me: "You mean inside water?"
Anna: "Yes, in case I get thirsty."
Me: "Yes . . . Do you know anyone who doesn't have water?"
Anna: "No."

. . .

[After a post-dining-out talk about trying to have our best manners at restaurants so the servers don't have to clean up our messes.]
Anna: "Well there was ice on the floor and I ate it, so that means I cleaned it up."

. . . 

Anna: [Singing this song, which helped them learn the books of the Old Testament] "Genesis,  Exodus, Legenesis, numbers .  . ."

. . . 

Anna: "Mom are you edible for cheese?"
Some questions I just don't know how to answer. I think she was referring to my lactose intolerance.
. . . 

Anna: "When I drink water it reminds me I want to be a queen, a queen and a mommy."

. . . 

Anna: [to Daddy] "I love you in the morning Daddy."

. . . 

Anna has been talking Sarah into doing crazy things for her. The other day she had her use a gel pen for eyeliner. Today she had paint on her arm and face.

Me: "Sarah why is there paint on Anna's arm and face?"
Sarah: "Oh, that was an accident." [Incredulous look from me]. "Well, the face was an accident, but she asked me to give her a tattoo on her arm." 

. . . 

Anna bumped her chin on the corner of our island and had a little scrape.
Me: "Sarah, what did Anna do?"
Sarah: "I don't know--I wasn't watching."
Anna: "I wasn't watching either!!"

. . . 

Sarah has just started reading small chapter books and is very excited.
Sarah: "Reading is my life!"

. . . 

Sarah: [to me wearing a flowered skirt"Mom, your shirt is pretty. Your skirt is really . . . interesting. It's like a bunch of zebras running past. I learned that on Wild Kratts."



. . . 

Sarah: [while cleaning the homeschool room where she has rest time] "I feel like a piece of trash. I feel like a piece of trash in the garbage. That's how I feel about having to clean this room.
Well, thanks for the honesty darling.

. . .  

Anna: [picking up an acorn at the park]: "I'm going to take this home and science it!"

. . .

Me [to screaming Silas]: "It's just a nap kiddo--not medieval torture."

. . . 

Daddy: [to Anna] "Butter is not designed to be eaten as a separate meal." 

. . . 

And here's one more from last week when we were watching the US Open with Daddy. I put this forth as evidence that we actually are influencing our kids in ways we don't even realize. More is caught than taught.

Anna: "I want to eat dinner down here so we can watch golf."




If you like this, you can get these posts in your inbox by signing up HERE! You'll also receive occasional news from my Etsy shop.

No comments

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here! Your comment will be submitted for approval.