the longing heart

I'm waiting, not so patiently. Thirty-seven week pregnant and three weeks (or less) seem so far away.

I realize when I'm forced to wait that my faith is often small, my hope short, and my patience untested.

I am waiting for a baby that will most definitely come at some point. Small potatoes.

Others in my life are waiting too:
One for a foster child to fill a beautifully decorated room in her home.
One on a chaotic government to come through so she can bring home an adopted daughter from abroad.
One for a child to be conceived miraculously in her womb, waiting through miscarriages, another through terrible losses.
One for a spouse and a lonely bed to be warmed.
One for God to work in a marriage and spouse.
One for her body to heal and pain to cease.

So much waiting. And there is no erasing the pain of waiting. There is no promising that the waiting will end soon.

But there is ONE we don't have to wait for.

JESUS.

We started putting this package (and only this one until Christmas day) under our tree last year.
He is here. NOW.
He HAS COME.
He HAS DELIVERED.
He WILL DELIVER.
He is my Comforter, Counselor, the Mighty God, Prince of Peace.

In my waiting, He may be up to a thousand things--or more. I like John Piper's quote: "God is always doing 10,000 things in your life, and you may be aware of three of them.”

On this I can rest my hope and turn my weary head, even in my "small potatoes" waiting.

I'm loving this Charles Wesley hymn this Christmas (and great video here):
Come, Thou long expected Jesus
Born to set Thy people free;
From our fears and sins release us,
Let us find our rest in Thee.
Israel’s Strength and Consolation,
Hope of all the earth Thou art;
Dear Desire of every nation,
Joy of every longing heart.

Born Thy people to deliver,
Born a child and yet a King,
Born to reign in us forever,
Now Thy gracious kingdom bring.
By Thine own eternal Spirit
Rule in all our hearts alone;
By Thine all sufficient merit,
Raise us to Thy glorious throne.

So I am praying these things:
  • Release us from our fears and sins
  • Let us find our rest in YOU
  • Be the joy of our longing hearts
  • Rule alone in our hearts
  • Raise our eyes to Your glorious throne!

Merry Christmas friends!




No comments

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here! Your comment will be submitted for approval.