In Secret Phone Screensaver + thoughts on the things that matter

"In secret" screensaver from Marydean Draws
stock image from Elah Tree
Happy July, friends! I am enjoying the summer with my kiddos, but wanted to pop onto the blog and share this screensaver and some thoughts with you.

I've been reading through Matthew this summer and have come to Jesus' sermon on the mount in chapters five and six. I have been struck by the term "in secret" that Jesus repeats.


I have been thinking how the things that matter the most to God, that make us "salt of the earth" and "light of the world." are the things that happen "in secret":


the health of our relationships (Matthew 5:21-26)
holiness of heart (Matthew 5:27-30)
marriage (Matthew 5:31-32)
our word (Matthew 5:33-37)
generosity and kindness (Matthew 5:38-42)
imitating Jesus, becoming like the Father (Matthew 5:43-48)
intentions and integrity (Matthew 6:1-4)
sincerity of heart
God's will and purpose
horizontal, person-to-person forgiveness (Matthew 6:5-15)

Then Jesus says, "where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" (Matthew 6:21). 

It makes sense that Jesus then addresses anxiety (Matthew 6:25-34). So much anxiety (at least for me) is rooted in seeking first the things that don't matter to God--the seen things: approval of others, my reputation, how things appear. 

God knows that seeking these things eat me up inside.

He also knows that when I focus on externals, I judge, and that a judging heart is not a heart that has fully experienced God's grace. He knows that my inner, secret life is the only one I can fully know (Matthew 7:1-5).

I am so calmed to know both that God wants to meet me in the secret place, and that the real value in my life is found there. And from that place, "flow the springs of life" (Proverbs 4:23).

PRAYING the Word
Thank you for making me your child and you my Father. Forgive my insincerity, my love of things that don't matter to You, and my resulting anxiety. Thank you that you delight to rescue me in my weaknesses (Psalm 18:19). Teach me to seek first the secret things of your Kingdom. Help me be a true "son/daughter of the Father," who imitates you--to your glory and the benefit of my community.

QUESTIONS to consider:
1. Is my treasure SECRET or SEEN?
2. Do the things that matter to God matter to me?
3. Is my relationship with God personal (Father-child) or only public? What kind of relationship does God want?

This section of Scripture inspired my watercolor painting below. You can download the phone screensaver by clicking and saving the image below!*


"In secret" screensaver from Marydean Draws

P.S. My second coloring book is out on Amazon! It's called "Coloring the Word: The Good News Story." You can see the preview below and get one HERE! šŸ’™



*I'm so happy for you to enjoy my coloring pages and printables for your personal (not commercial) use! Use for Bible studies, church groups or events, and Sunday school classes are all fine! If you're in doubt, I'm happy to answer any questions. All artwork and photos are copyright Marydean Draws. If you share this, you're awesome (!), and as a courtesy,  please link back to this post and not the PDF file. Thank you!!



If you like this, you can get these posts in your inbox by signing up HERE

No comments

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here! Your comment will be submitted for approval.