No one is good + Mark 10:18 Bible verse coloring page

printable Bible verse coloring page


"And as he [Jesus] was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him and asked him, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. You know the commandments: 'Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.'" And he said to him, "Teacher, all these I have kept from my youth." And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, "You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me." Disheartened by the saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions." Mark 10:17-22

A couple of weeks ago, I fussed at my girls when they interrupted my attempt at some work in the middle of the day. This is a battle I fight periodically--to make a happy marriage of my ideas, my ambitions, and what I think God has called me to do, with this other amazing calling to be a mom and wife. There is also the struggle not to make this "good thing" become the thing that is better to me than my Jesus. So tricky . . . 

My husband commented on my poor attitude and then I saw it for what it was.

I told my girls (after shedding a few tears),  "I'm sorry I fussed at you."

And instead of "It's okay Mom, you're normally so sweet," one said, "It's okay, we're getting used to it."

Ugh. 

A blow to my self-righteousness. I resist these blows, trying to deflect them on other people or maybe my body chemistry. Everything in me wants to justify myself. I can quickly list all the reasons I can't possibly have a good attitude or exercise a larger measure of patience. 

The rich young man in the Mark 10 passage above seems to want justification from Jesus too. "Why yes, son, you have been extremely good. I'm impressed and you have my approval" . . . is what he longs to hear, but isn't how Jesus responds.

That approval would have made the man momentarily happy, but would leave him enslaved to his love of money. 

Jesus just loves him too much for that.

Jesus gently ask the man to do something painful that cuts to the heart of his identity, so that he can come and follow Jesus in freedom. 

In the same way, Jesus loves you and me too much to leave us in our sin and idolatry, our striving for empty things to fill up our hole-ridden purses. 
"You have sown much, and harvested little. You eat, but you never have enough; you drink, but you never have your fill. You clothe yourselves, but no one is warm. And he who earns wages does so to put them into a bag with holes." Haggai 1:6
But this process of setting us free will be just as painful for us as it was for the rich young man. Our sense of our own goodness has to go. Ouch.

As we walk with Jesus, He confronts our idols, using circumstances, various trials, and basically "all things" to conform us to the image of His Son (Romans 8:28-29). It reminds me of this passage in Hebrews:
"For they disciplined us [referring to earthly fathers] for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." [Heb 12:10-11 ESV]
Like the Edward Mote hymn, My Hope is Built, so beautifully expresses, Jesus breaks down our sandcastle foundations and replaces them with a towering palace built on Himself alone.

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh may I then in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

When I needlessly fuss at my children or bicker with my husband, or muddle up my friendships, I'm finding there is great freedom in simple humility. And isn't that the only appropriate response for a child of God living under His great grace? I don't do humility well, but I'm learning from Jesus:
"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." Philippians 2:5-8 [ESV]
Humility helps me accept correction from others. Humility helps me to overlook what I perceive is an offense (Proverbs 19:11). Humility helps me apologize when I'm wrong. Humility helps me listen to my business clients and meet their needs without feeling like I always have to be right or in control. 

There is a lightness to humility. There is a confidence that comes from resting in the mercy of Jesus alone. 

Sin is more harmful than we imagine, and has a greater grip on us than we like to admit. But, because of this, the Gospel is also better news than we realize, and God is more gracious and compassionate than we understand.

That's good news friends.

Today's printable Bible verse coloring page is from Mark 10:18b. You can download your page HERE or by clicking on the image below!*
Mark 10:19 words of Jesus printable Bible verse

PRAYING the Word
Thank you God that you are slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love to a sinner like me. Thank you that by grace, you are transforming my mind to be like yours. Keep my lowly and humble, unafraid to look at my sin, so that I can repent and find grace and receive mercy. Thank you that I can approach you with confidence because of your great love, bringing nothing but my contrite heart. (See Psalm 86:15; Hebrews 4:16; Psalm 51:17)

QUESTIONS to consider:

1. How is the truth that "no one is good but God alone" actually good news?
2. In what ways do you try to justify yourself before God?
3. How would an attitude of humility serve you well in your relationships with others and with the God who loves you?


*I'm so happy for you to enjoy my coloring pages and printables for your personal (not commercial) use! Use for Bible studies, church groups or events, and Sunday school classes are all fine! If you're in doubt, I'm happy to answer any questions. All artwork and photos are copyright Marydean Draws. If you share this, you're awesome (!), and as a courtesy,  please link back to this post and not the PDF file. Thank you!!



If you like this, you can get these posts in your inbox by signing up HERE

2 comments

  1. I am energized by your artistry & your testimonials. I am a terribly busy professional who is as busy a catechist of kids ministry volunteer & I stand / lean on the creative work of people like you. You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love to heart this!! Thank you so much for your encouraging note. It's much appreciated.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here! Your comment will be submitted for approval.