Living full in an empty world + Colossians 2:9-10a Bible verse coloring page

fullness in Christ
Do you ever find yourself scrambling to fill a need you can't even clearly identify? 

Chocolate!
Coffee!
Social media feed!
Something to distract me!
Love me, love me (husband, friends)!
Just one more cute shirt!

For me these searches quickly turn into discontentment and irritation. Well, that didn't work . . . on to the next thing.

And it's exhausting.
"Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food." (Isa 55:2 ESV)
One of our pastors said something recently that captures this tension I feel. He said, "It's not that following Jesus is burdensome, but this world is a hard place to delight in Jesus above all else."

Jesus is incomprehensibly good, but we battle the one-two-three punch of the world, the flesh, and the devil. 

And only the Spirit is up for that fight, friends.

I'm reading a book called How People Change by Timothy Lane and Paul Tripp and the authors explain it this way:
 "The Bible describes us as defectors and enemies of God who want to fill ourselves with things in creation rather than the Creator . . . Scripture's approach calls us to forsake the things we have sought to fill our emptiness. Before we can be filled with God's grace, we must engage in intelligent, honest repentance. We have to forsake and demolish the god-replacements that have supplanted the true God in our lives. Repentance is a form of emptying the heart." 
Have I tried to set up created things in the huge vacuum of God in my life, like a teacup of water spilled out on a cracked and dusty desert? Most certainly. And I (and my relationships) suffer for it daily.
Measly teacupfuls evaporate almost on impact. What we need is a deluge from heaven.
"See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him." (Col 2:8-15 ESV)
Colossians 2:9-10a
Glorious, right? Full in Christ. Sinful flesh circumcised. Raised with Him through faith. My debts forgiven.

I believe these things . . . but sometimes I just don't.
"I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark 9:24b
I believe that I no longer live, but Christ lives in me through His Spirit (Galatians 2:20), but often I'd rather be known for my own personality and confidence (and spend lots of time analyzing these things).

I believe Jesus is my bread of life (John 6:35), but I want to be filled by my own comfort (and might react badly if you mess with it).

I believe Jesus is my constant Counselor and teacher (John 14:26), but I'd rather just have an easy marriage and compliant children, and not rely on Him to teach me how to live by the Spirit.

I believe Jesus died on the cross, but I resist the fact that my sins sent Him there, and in Him I am freely forgiven along with every other sinner who falls on His grace.

I believe Jesus fills me up, but sometimes I'd just prefer my husband to be perfectly in tune with all my needs and desires (here I get an eye-roll from him, ha).

I know in my head what Jesus offers. But sometimes I just don't want those things. I want lesser things. My appetites are unsophisticated, earthly.

quick and easy cup-o-noodles over homemade pasta in carefully brewed broth
oily canned tuna fish over prime steak on the grill
dry powered donuts from a bag over hand-made ones fresh off the fryer

The lesser, easier stuff, just doesn't satisfy long-term.

All I know is that developing a taste for "rich food" is something only Jesus can do in us. The current of our thoughts carry us in a particular direction. And while deeply ingrained, they are not immovable. The greater current of God's Spirit can shift them over time as we empty ourselves and ask Him to fill us.
"Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory." (Col 3:2-4 ESV)
"For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace." (Rom 8:6 ESV)
God is working these things out in me these days. Do I believe what I believe in the simplest of moments? Because that's where real change happens.

When you feel strung out and discontent: 
"I am full in Christ. There is nothing He hasn't given me today."

When you are weary and discouraged:
"I am full in Christ. There is nothing He hasn't given me today."

When you feel like you're at the end of everyone's list of priorities:
"I am full in Christ. There is nothing He hasn't given me today."

When you look in the mirror and wish for something better.
"I am full in Christ. There is nothing He hasn't given me today."

I think I'm only beginning to taste fullness in Christ, friends. And it's oh. so. good. And free! 

There's nothing keeping you from coming to Him for fullness today. Jesus has already set the table for you. You only have to come.
"Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food." (Isaiah 55:1-2 ESV)
To keep these truths on your heart, I'm sharing this printable Bible verse coloring page from Colossians 2:9-10a! You can download your page HERE or by clicking on the image below!* (This image is also in full color in my "Mission: Motherhood" Scripture card set HERE!)
bible verse coloring page

PRAYING the Word

Jesus, thank you for choosing to fill us with yourself. Teach us to delight in YOU above all else today.

QUESTIONS to ask about the verses:
1. What does this verse tell you about the person of Jesus?
2. How does it feel to be "full" in Christ?
3. What things do you try to fill yourself with? How do they make you feel?


*I'm so happy for you to enjoy my coloring pages and printables for your personal (not commercial) use! All artwork and photos are copyright Marydean Draws. If you share this, you're awesome (!), and as a courtesy,  please link back to this post and not the PDF file. Thank you!!



If you like this, you can get these posts in your inbox by signing up HERE! You'll also receive occasional news from my Etsy shop.

10 comments

  1. I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for all the wonderful, encouraging words...they are always right on time. And another big thank you for the printables...I really enjoy coloring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, thank you! I'm so glad the blog is helpful and encouraging. God is so good to give us what we need!! ❤️❤️

      Delete
  2. Thank you. Needed to hear this today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Carissa, thank you for telling me. I really needed it too (preaching to my own heart)! ❤️❤️

      Delete
  3. Awesome post, one to read and re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post, one to read and re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! God is visible through you. This has spoken to me in such a great way. He is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yadi! So glad to hear that God is using these posts. :)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here! Your comment will be submitted for approval.