Just a child


Do you know those moments when you're faced with your own brokenness and failures?

Other than my daily flops and flounderings in mommying, nothing makes me face this more than a good 'ol argument with my husband. We don't argue often anymore (our first few months as Mr. and Mrs. were a bit of a doozy), but there are still times when we completely miscommunicate. 

This happened recently. We felt and saw the same situation totally differently and ended up frustrated with each other. I retreated to the bedroom with a headache and a heavy heart. I felt weak and tired and frustrated with myself and my man.

It's those times that my weaknesses usher me into the arms of my Savior like nothing else. And I feel like He encouraged me with these truths, so I share them with you:

I'm just a child of the King
not great
not even good
not super-anything
but not small in HIS affections

Don't know it all

Can't do it all
Don't understand it all
Don't get it all right
Don't get it all wrong
Just a child in HIS house

Adopted at great price

Blessed by HIS presence
Trained by HIS grace
Blessed by HIS abundance

I'm growing up in this house
Free access to the throne
A place at the table
Lovingly disciplined
Becoming like Him
Secure in HIS love

It's so simple, but it changed everything. All the pressure to please and be and do lifted--for me and my husband. Humility settled in and I could snuggle up to my big Father. He wasn't surprised that I missed it. His grace was there.

That night God's grace won once again, and we closed the day with humble pillow talk apologies. Still married at the end of the day, like my friend Katie says. I truly don't know where we'd be without His grace.

Are you trying to be more than what you are in Him? More than a child? 
Are you trying too hard to earn your keep, forgetting your true identity as a child of God? 
Are you so focused on your weaknesses and failings that you forget how great your Father is?

Hebrews 4:16 "Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

Romans 8:14-15 "For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” 

1 John 3:1a "See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are."





If you like this, you can get these posts in your inbox by signing up HERE! You'll also receive news of any specials and deals in my Etsy shop.

No comments

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here! Your comment will be submitted for approval.