the weight


I am weighed down. I lay things down only to later realize I've picked them back up again. I've been reflecting on this Scripture:

"Oh LORD, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me." Psalm 131:1-2

How can a soul be "like a weaned child with its mother"? Have you ever thought about that one? My "unweaned" children, especialy as itty bitty newborns, were always desperate for the next meal, not yet sure where it was coming from and unused to the hunger pains in their bellies. They were frantic for milk. Once their bellies were full, their satisfaction didn't last long before they were hungry again.

But a weaned child knows that mother has provided and will provide. He knows mom is there and that his hunger will be filled. Experience has taught him to trust. It would be "occupying himself with things too great" to worry about things mother is responsible for.

Have I complicated simple trust in Jesus with trust in myself, like a fussy, untrained newborn?

Weaned children's bellies can also take more in and are not so quickly hungry again. They eat their fill and are satisfied. 

Am I eating and drinking fully from Jesus and His Word and then living in satisfaction? 

I don't know how all these details work out--the burdens we must carry with His help, and then ones we aren't mean to shoulder at all. Ask the Holy Spirit to show you these things. I know He desires our rest in the end.

Jesus says, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

Listening to "Steady My Heart" by Kari Jobe today.


No comments

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here! Your comment will be submitted for approval.